Pages

Friday, April 6, 2012

2 to 3 Dimensional Painting

   This semester I was enrolled in Two to Three Dimensional Painting, where I completed several works from found materials, spray and acrylic paints, and a lot of cardboard.


Project One - Painting with a Partner

   The first painting assignment was a partnered assignment, where we engage with lyrics from a song, and piece together a collective painting.  My partner choose some very poetic lyrics from a Tool song, while I choose the most mind-numbing lyrics I could find: I'm Sexy and I Know It, by LMFAO.


"Fragile-Do Not Drop"
Acrylic and spray paint, unstretched canvas, cardboard, found material.
3.5x3.5 Feet

    This was the result of combining a very deep song, with the most objectively awful song known to man.  My partner created the skull and shaded it with lyrics from her song,  while I juxtaposed that with cardboard panels depicting brains melting, phallic wiggles, and a pile of crap.


  
 

 Our painting is a reflection on the current state of popular culture, meaningful music is being destroyed by mindless, auto-tuned, sexist, misogynistic pieces of unintelligent crap.


Project Two - Public vs. Private

   For this project I was inspired by billboards at the Yonge and Dundas intersection while exploring Google street view.   I created works that could reflect my general feelings about public vs. private life; these paintings express a lack of privacy in the lives that use transit and consume in malls.

"Yonge-University-Spadina Line"
Acrylic and Spray Paint on Canvas, Found Material
5x2.5 Feet

 "Eaton Centre Information Map"
Acrylic and Spray Paint on Canvas, Found Material
4x3 Feet

 Detail from "Yonge-University-Spadina Line"


 Project 3 - Painting without a Canvas

   This work is created out of beer case cardboard inserts, double sided tape, garbage bags, white glue, acrylic and spray paints.  It is inspired by Canadian riding distribution through party colour.

"Canadian Federal Riding Distribution Map - May 2011"
Cardboard, Found Material, Acrylic and Spray Paint
4x5 Feet

 B.C. Green Party Riding in B.C.

A view looking through orange Quebec into the blue Prairies.


An overall awesome course.

No comments:

Post a Comment